One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Baked haricot beans, typically cooked in tomato sauce and tinned.
- ‘The plate contained two sausages, two lean bacon rashers, an egg, baked beans and tinned tomato.’
- ‘Take a tin of ordinary baked beans in tomato sauce and heat gently on the hob just short of bubbling.’
- ‘This consisted of an egg, bacon, sausage, tinned tomato, baked beans and a slice of fried bread.’
- ‘Grill and lightly butter the ciabatta, and ladle the baked beans on top.’
- ‘Ann had a jacket potato and baked beans with a salad garnish and coleslaw.’
- ‘When we didn't, I was the cook and produced mostly things like sausages, baked beans and sardines.’
- ‘I mean, even Gabe and Isaiah could cook baked beans and the occasional beef stew.’
- ‘The second is a parallel culinary universe in which it is OK to combine tinned tuna and baked beans in the same dish.’
- ‘Also a plate of sausages, baked beans, eggs, grilled tomatoes and bacon makes a very good main course.’
- ‘They duly arrived with a fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans and two tinned tomatoes.’
- ‘Likewise if you have bread and cheese, or baked beans or frozen burgers, make them.’
- ‘Every day he eats a packet of Jaffa cakes and wholemeal biscuits and has mashed potato mixed with plain rice, baked beans and brown sauce in the evening.’
- ‘Added to these were baked beans, tinned tomatoes and two slices of buttered toast.’
- ‘There is no logic in this, of course, just as there is no logic in my dogged loyalty to the name Heinz when purchasing either tomato ketchup or baked beans.’
- ‘Manufacturers could have to cut the amount of salt in beefburgers, bread, breakfast cereals, sausages and baked beans.’
- ‘Not only was the room in a filthy state, the food cupboard contained just a tin of mushy peas, baked beans and corned beef.’
- ‘Where do you find the best value baked beans, sausages, ketchup and white sliced bread?’
- ‘Pupils who raised £50 or over had the pleasure of seeing their teacher covered in a mixture of baked beans and tomato soup.’
- ‘Today's fish choice was haddock, and was offered with the obligatory chips and a choice of salad, peas or baked beans.’
- ‘To turn huevos rancheros into more of a meal, add a few grilled chorizo sausages, roasted red peppers or spicy baked beans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.