One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Baked haricot beans, typically cooked in tomato sauce and tinned.
- ‘Take a tin of ordinary baked beans in tomato sauce and heat gently on the hob just short of bubbling.’
- ‘They duly arrived with a fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans and two tinned tomatoes.’
- ‘There is no logic in this, of course, just as there is no logic in my dogged loyalty to the name Heinz when purchasing either tomato ketchup or baked beans.’
- ‘Also a plate of sausages, baked beans, eggs, grilled tomatoes and bacon makes a very good main course.’
- ‘Every day he eats a packet of Jaffa cakes and wholemeal biscuits and has mashed potato mixed with plain rice, baked beans and brown sauce in the evening.’
- ‘Manufacturers could have to cut the amount of salt in beefburgers, bread, breakfast cereals, sausages and baked beans.’
- ‘Where do you find the best value baked beans, sausages, ketchup and white sliced bread?’
- ‘Not only was the room in a filthy state, the food cupboard contained just a tin of mushy peas, baked beans and corned beef.’
- ‘Ann had a jacket potato and baked beans with a salad garnish and coleslaw.’
- ‘Added to these were baked beans, tinned tomatoes and two slices of buttered toast.’
- ‘When we didn't, I was the cook and produced mostly things like sausages, baked beans and sardines.’
- ‘Grill and lightly butter the ciabatta, and ladle the baked beans on top.’
- ‘The second is a parallel culinary universe in which it is OK to combine tinned tuna and baked beans in the same dish.’
- ‘To turn huevos rancheros into more of a meal, add a few grilled chorizo sausages, roasted red peppers or spicy baked beans.’
- ‘Today's fish choice was haddock, and was offered with the obligatory chips and a choice of salad, peas or baked beans.’
- ‘This consisted of an egg, bacon, sausage, tinned tomato, baked beans and a slice of fried bread.’
- ‘I mean, even Gabe and Isaiah could cook baked beans and the occasional beef stew.’
- ‘The plate contained two sausages, two lean bacon rashers, an egg, baked beans and tinned tomato.’
- ‘Pupils who raised £50 or over had the pleasure of seeing their teacher covered in a mixture of baked beans and tomato soup.’
- ‘Likewise if you have bread and cheese, or baked beans or frozen burgers, make them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.