One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bake a pastry or flan case without a filling.
- ‘Also, when Delia does a tart, she brushes egg yolk on the pastry base and bakes it blind to keep it crisp when it is filled and baked.’
- ‘Roll out your pastry, line your greased flan case, and bake it blind for about 20 minutes.’
- ‘The primary problem I encountered was having the pastry shrink a considerable amount while baking them blind.’
- ‘Prick all over with a fork and pre-bake it blind on a baking tray for 10 minutes in the centre of the oven.’
- ‘Line a deep pie dish with half the pie crust, prick the pastry and bake it blind for 15 minutes.’
- ‘Line a 20-23 cm tart tin, with a removable base, with sweet shortcrust and bake it blind until lightly coloured.’
- ‘Line a flan ring or pie dish with the prepared pastry and bake it blind in a hot oven.’
- ‘Make a wholewheat flan case and bake it blind for a few minutes.’
- ‘Buy sweet short pastry and bake it blind into a tart shell till well cooked and browned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.