One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short, loose jacket worn in Malaysia.
- ‘The Baju Melayu (for men) has the same basic cut as for the traditional Baju for women but the collar is different.’
- ‘Well, just go to any Malay house, open the cupboard of the lady in the house, and you can definitely find at least one Baju Kurung dress in the wardrobe.’
- ‘The white top called a baju koko had discreet embroidery on the front panel.’
- ‘Dozens of civilian guards were also seen standing by outside the restaurant dressed in baju koko, a type of Muslim shirt.’
- ‘The baju kurung is breezy and thus well-suited for the tropical climate.’
- ‘They usually dress in the baju kurung, a long-sleeved, loose blouse worn over an ankle-length skirt, and they cover their heads with a scarf as a sign of humility and modesty.’
- ‘For the more conservative Islamists, her baju kurung is a symbol of Muslim modesty and upright Muslim womanhood.’
- ‘At last year's swearing-in ceremony, she appeared in a violet baju kurung, a traditional dress.’
- ‘Malaysia's sultans are considered standard-bearers of traditional dress and the baju kurung itself was refined and popularized a century ago by a sultan.’
- ‘She could have chosen a baju kebaya or even a baju kurung inspired dress and I'm sure she'll stand out more.’
- ‘The hugely popular 21-year-old is careful to look modest: at more formal concerts, the code is for traditional, flowing baju kurung.’
- ‘The baju kurung moden is a hybrid from the true traditional baju kurung, and is worn frequently by Malay women in Malaysia even to work.’
- ‘Some school principals told The Jakarta Post boys would be required to wear a baju koko (a long-sleeved, collarless shirt) and peci (cap).’
- ‘Another costume that is still commonly seen is the baju kurung in Malaysia, which is the traditional dress for the Malays.’
- ‘‘I had a little armlet - a baju - tucked in my waistband,’ replied Bhikhu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.