One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad slope of alluvial material at the foot of an escarpment.
hill, hillside, hillock, bank, rise, escarpment, scarpView synonyms
- ‘The flood of January I was a recurrence of the process that built the Montrose-La Crescenta bajada slope and the Glendale fan.’
- ‘The closest major one to the south is Swallow Canyon, which features a large cottonwood grove out on the bajada (alluvial plain) in front of it.’
- ‘They grade both northward and southward into coalesced alluvial fans forming the bajada that flanks the margins of the mountains.’
- ‘Ephemeral stream channels are organized hierarchically on the bajada slopes from the mountains to the valley bottoms.’
- ‘All transects were located on the eastern bajada slope of Mount Summerford.’
- ‘Adjacent fans may merge to form a broad sloping surface, known as a bajada, at the foot of a mountain range.’
- ‘Cercidium microphyllum, a green-stemmed, drought - deciduous tree 3 to 5 m high, is a dominant woody legume on rocky slopes and bajadas throughout the Sonoran Desert.’
- ‘Periodic downcutting in many Quaternary valley settings is witnessed by bajadas comprising ‘nested’ marginal fans, river-cut terraces and perched fan inset surfaces.’
- ‘Key distinguishing features are the presence of broadly horizontal erosion surfaces and overlying axial river alluvium inset into bajada deposits in the former case.’
- ‘But the main barrier is the land itself, an expanse of sun-whitened, heat-hazed bajada telescoping the waist-high vegetation to nothing.’
- ‘Tectonic uplands bordering active faults are usually drained by steep catchments feeding alluvial fans, adjacent examples of which coalesce to define continuous bajadas (base-of-slope deposits).’
- ‘She hasn't looked at the scenic mountain range, valleys, bajadas, washes, and hills all around her.’
- ‘These relationships are best illustrated in the Palomas Basin where up to three intercalated axial fluvial ‘wedges’ bevel the prominent bajada along the active fault-bounded Caballo Mountains.’
- ‘The very presence of ironwoods along a bajada slope may increase bird diversity by 63 percent.’
- ‘This tends to confirm that the bajada slope represents a major axis of species compositional change.’
- ‘High-density scrubs are found on lower bajadas, sloping less than 1.5%, whereas low-density scrubs occur on upper bajadas sloping more than 3%.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, ‘descent, slope’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.