One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cook, typically one catering for shearers or other agricultural workers.‘the bait layer's eyes were like onions in a field of grey stubble’
- ‘Put him up aboard there and take him back to the bait layer.’
- ‘Hooroo, you Bait Layer! I'd need binoculars to even notice yer tiny lunch rations.’
- ‘For a joke, they will refer to their cook as "the bait-layer."’
- ‘He was the Jewish Aboriginal bait-layer from backblocks Queensland.’
- ‘Cooking for a number of people is a complicated business and anything to make the bait-layer's job easier should be done.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.