Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Thailand, equal to 100 satangs.
- ‘One thing is for sure, I will put my last baht on the fact that none of the research team took either drug!’
- ‘Despite the momentum toward recovery, the baht is fragile and the stock market moribund.’
- ‘Do ask a lot of questions and never hand over a single baht unless you are satisfied with the answers.’
- ‘Now if this is not enough one must report in every three months or face a hefty fine of 200 baht a day.’
- ‘As a result the workers have to pay an extra 50 baht a day in rent until they pay their due rent.’
- ‘A smaller proportion of the basket will be made up of the British pound, Thai baht and Russian rouble.’
- ‘The project will involve hundreds of millions of baht and hundreds of trucks and shuttle buses.’
- ‘Contributions to the nominated charities are already said to have topped half a million baht.’
- ‘The baht has been moving in the same direction as the yen but was less volatile.’
- ‘Let her overstay and let her pay for the overstays at the 200 baht a day going rate.’
- ‘If I get duped out of a few baht, it is generally my fault for not being familiar with local customs.’
- ‘Importers and vendors of the film face penalties of up to six months in jail and a 21,000 baht fine.’
- ‘Two of the tourists caused an accident while renting jet ski boats at 1,000 baht an hour.’
- ‘Then there is the likelihood of the baht slipping further against hard currencies.’
- ‘The government wants to see the baht stabilize, even if it will lead to a slight drop in exports.’
- ‘This is done over a beer and generally we stay on for the 195 baht Steak Night dinner.’
- ‘The further drop in the yen might weaken the baht to an unsatisfactory level.’
- ‘This would mean they would all have to get together to oust me from our 4 million baht love nest.’
- ‘But not a baht has had to be forked out in reward money because no one has been caught.’
- ‘Should the baht weaken further it is likely that local oil prices will continue to rise.’
From Thai bāt.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.