One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A monotheistic religion founded in the 19th century as a development of Babism, emphasizing the essential oneness of humankind and of all religions and seeking world peace. The Baha'i faith was founded by the Persian Baha'ullah (1817–92) and his son Abdul Baha (1844–1921).
- ‘This book is one of the few published sociological works on the Baha'i Faith, joining Will van den Hoonaard's The Origins of the Baha'i Community in Canada and Peter Smith's the Babi and Baha'i religions.’
- ‘It is run by Swindon's Baha'i religious group and managed from their office at the Health Hydro in Milton Road.’
- ‘This article also predicts increasing conversion from Islam to Bahai, the indigenous Iranian religion.’
- ‘The Baha'i religious group has set up its first permanent Tranquillity Zone in the town.’
- ‘As it is, my thinking has been influenced by Catholics, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Neo-pagans, Baha'i, agnostics and atheists.’
- ‘The Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Bahai religions are also practiced, as is Rastafarianism.’
- ‘In the last century, Baha'u'llah, the Prophet - Founder of the Baha'i Faith, whose name means the ‘Glory of God’, recorded many prophecies.’
- ‘There is no need for a nameless Persian Baha'i family to come to blows over the fact that Jesus was a great prophet.’
- ‘What I love about this Baha'i faith, the first principle is ‘Think for yourself.’
- ‘It seemed at the time that this had put an end to his message, but in fact the Bab's teachings laid the basis for the present day Baha'i Faith, which grew and flourished and spread world wide.’
- ‘Babism's teachings were refashioned by the later Bahai movement.’
- ‘My family happens to be Bahai, a religion that emerged after the establishment of Islam.’
- ‘The basic tenet of Baha'i seems to be that all religions are one and just windows on the same single God.’
- ‘The Baha'i religion developed out of the mystical Islamic movement around AD 1850.’
- ‘He was jailed for 16 years for his part in various Apla attacks before the 1994 election, including attacks on the Highgate Hotel and on a bus of Da Gama Textiles employees, and the killing of three Baha'i Faith Mission members.’
- ‘In the light of this dire diagnosis, Baha'i believers feel that the only solution is to strengthen interfaith activities and dialogue.’
- ‘Islam, Bahai, Mormonism [and others] all claim their prophet was to come with a new revelation in line with all the prophets.’
- ‘Formed in the nineteenth century as an offshoot of Shi'ism, the Baha'i religion believes in pacifism and equality of the sexes, and maintains that all people are brothers.’
- ‘Mr Leith, a local Abingdon resident, told Cherwell that ‘the Baha'i faith is a religion and not a sect,’ as reported by some areas of the press in the Hutton Enquiry into Dr Kelly's death.’
- ‘There are also excerpts from Baha'i holy texts and pictures of the edifices on Mount Carmel in Haifa, Israel, which is the world spiritual and administrative centre of Baha'i faith.’
- 1.1count noun An adherent of the Baha'i faith.
- ‘Like the Parsees in the past, even today the persecuted Bahais, the Tibetan Buddhists or the Chakmas find safe haven here.’
- ‘The participation in, and recognition of, democratically elected local Baha'i governance, brings Baha'is into alignment with the national and globalized authority structures.’
- ‘According to my informal survey, evangelical Christians provide the most postings, but I also spotted messages from Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims, Jews, Baha'is and many others.’
- ‘What seems clear is that there are as many as six million Muslims in the U.S. today, over a million Hindus, and more than a quarter of a million Buddhists, together with smaller numbers of Sikhs, Jains, Baha'is, and others.’
- ‘World Religion Day events help foster interfaith understanding and harmony, Baha'is believe.’
- ‘For example, I point to the pietistic practices of Bahais, Buddhists, and Mormons to encourage my Baptist Pietist students to take their pietism a little more seriously.’
- ‘Throughout the world, Baha'is, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, and other believers continue to suffer for their faith.’
- ‘Discrimination is experienced by ethnic minorities such as Azeris and Kurds and by religious minorities - Sunni Muslims, Baha'is.’
- ‘Spiritually, Mount Carmel is the administrative and also the spiritual centre of the world for Baha'is.’
- ‘An Introduction To The Baha'i Faith is about discovering how spirituality is viewed by the Baha'is and how an individual can walk a spiritual path in practical ways.’
- ‘I remember both my parents lost their jobs, my father was a vet, my mother a schoolteacher, simply because they were Bahais.’
- ‘I would also ask him to continue to be in dialogue with all of the mainstream denominations and ecumenically and inter-faith beyond Christianity, with Muslims, with Baha'is, with Jews, with all of us in the faith community.’
- ‘Barney Leith, secretary of the National Spiritual Assembly of the UK Baha'i's, will be in town to speak on the special day, known as Ridván.’
- ‘The gallery focuses on the history of the Baha'i Faith, its philosophy and the socio-economic activities of Baha'is around the world.’
- ‘The total for Jains, Zoroastrians and Baha'is is less than 24,000.’
- ‘Gregorian calendar of Christians, Hijri calendar of the Muslims, Bikrami and Saka calendars of the Hindus and a distinct calendar of Bahais, define the identities of these religious groups.’
Persian, from Arabic bahā' ‘splendour’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.