Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drab moth, the caterpillar and flightless female of which live in a portable protective case constructed out of plant debris.
- ‘This is the time when bagworm eggs have hatched but have not yet formed their protective covering.’
- ‘The bagworm is native to the U.S. and occurs throughout much of the area east of the Rocky Mountains.’
- ‘Large populations of bagworms can strip plants of their foliage and eventually cause them to die.’
- ‘Some of the bagworms can be identified by the shape of their cases or by the material used to construct them.’
- ‘The bagworm occurs in the eastern United States from New England to Nebraska and south through Texas.’
- ‘So, we typically recommend Kansans spray for bagworms in June, to give all the year's eggs time to hatch.’
- ‘The bag is firmly attached by a sturdy silk band which the bagworms usually wrap around a twig.’
- ‘Inside every case once inhabited by a female bagworm are up to 1,000 eggs, which hatch in June.’
- ‘Dispersal of bagworms depends on the hatchlings getting out on a twig and letting out a long strand of silk.’
- ‘The heat from that burning will do more permanent damage to the tree than the bagworms ever will.’
- ‘When the commercial product is applied while the bagworm is still a larva, the bacterium can be very effective.’
- ‘These problems include bagworms, pine wilt disease, Sphaeropsis Tip Blight of pine, along with others.’
- ‘I'm like a bagworm that's lost its bag, a snail without its shell.’
- ‘It works well only on young bagworms and must be applied between June 15th and July 15th to be effective.’
- ‘When many small bagworms are infesting evergreens, an insecticide may be needed to prevent serious damage.’
- ‘Since deciduous plants regrow new leaves each year, the defoliation caused by bagworm feeding is usually not serious.’
- ‘When fully grown, the bagworm fastens its covering to a twig and pupates within it.’
- ‘When fully grown, the bagworms are a dull, dirty, gray with darker markings toward the head.’
- ‘The cheapest method of controlling bagworms on small trees and ornamentals is to hand-pick the bags.’
- ‘We are all guilty of spraying an entire juniper hedge for bagworms when only three or four bags were seen which could have been easily picked off and crushed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.