Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually in place names A large garden or orchard.‘Roshanara Bagh’
- ‘Nearby the Golden Temple is the historic Jalianwala Bagh, a memorial garden.’
- ‘Samode Bagh is a garden paradise situated 4 km from Samode Palace.’
- ‘Although under private patronage, Sajjan Niwas Bagh garden was eventually recognized as the only botanic station within what is now known as Rajasthan.’
- ‘When the design is worked over very closely, covering the entire material, it is called bagh (a garden).’
- ‘The design of the site is based on a chahar bagh, a Persian four-part garden that represents a cosmic diagram of paradise on earth.’
Via Hindi from Persian bāg̣.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.