One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rope yarns wound around parts of a ship's rigging to prevent chafe.
- ‘Between this I hung individual strands of three-strand (½ inch diameter) chunks of white poly line, cut into 6 strips, then I whipped off the baggywrinkle.’
- ‘This log focuses on some of the skills required to maintain a tall ship, including chafe gear, baggywrinkle, tarring the rig, bright work, slushing the rig, line maintenance, and sail repairs.’
- ‘The totally traditional way to prevent chafe is to apply some baggywrinkle.’
- ‘Tight lashings at each end of the Baggywrinkle prevent it from unwrapping.’
- ‘Sun Dec 03, 2006 6: 11 pm Post subject: Baggywrinkle There's baggywrinkle on the way, via my father, an old-time destroyer sailor.’
- ‘No doubt the baggywrinkle plays a major role, but it's not the whole meal.’
- ‘In our workshop we are able to make up everything from a halyard to a mooring warp, from a sheet to a baggywrinkle so let us make up all your new running rigging needs, no matter how large or small.’
- ‘They became as thick as a longshoreman's hairy, tattooed forearm and, if it hadn't been for the baggywrinkle, the mainsail would probably have stuck permanently to the shrouds when it jibed.’
- ‘After making several miles of this you lash the end tightly to the steel cable and wrap the baggywrinkle tightly around the cable like the example at right.’
- ‘The fluffy stuff on the course lift line is 'baggywrinkle' - chaffing gear to protect the sail from being damaged by chaffing against the line.’
- ‘You can even give your packet more character by clapping on some phony baggywrinkle and painting on gunports.’
- ‘The same vice affects some people who seem driven to overemploy baggywrinkle.’
- ‘Chafing of a sail rubbing against a cable can be prevented on large ships by tying baggywrinkle around the cable.’
- ‘And a gollywobbler is a large, light-wind sail that can require baggywrinkle to limit chafing.’
- ‘The genny was chafing on the pulpit, so I made a length of baggywrinkle for the bad spot.’
- ‘When you're fed up, lash one end to the shroud, wrap the baggywrinkle around tightly and seize on the other end.’
- ‘For example, maybe you're going out to a spreader tip to foozle on some baggywrinkle that's come adrift.’
- ‘We enjoyed the inland birds -- the waders, vultures, kingfishers and herons, and the tame swallows intent on stealing threads from the baggywrinkle of a Swedish yacht and attempting to build a nest on our radar dome!’
- ‘However, the voluminous application of bright yellow polypropylene baggywrinkle throughout the rig was reminiscent of the plastic lei one receives at the Honolulu airport.’
- ‘The baggywrinkle is done by a member of the crew which means that he does some very fancy rope weaving for fenders on the boat and the bow piece.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.