One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dense bread roll in the shape of a ring, characteristic of Jewish baking.
- ‘Wholemeal, ciabatta, bagels, pitta bread or tortilla wraps will be a welcome change.’
- ‘Wherever they are made, bagels are best eaten very fresh; otherwise they become leathery and have to be split and toasted.’
- ‘I cannot condone the knocking down of old ladies in pursuit of a Panzers bagel, but sometimes there isn't any other way.’
- ‘After a few months I might expand to toasting bagels, baps, teacakes and crumpets.’
- ‘Multigrain bread, bagels, raisin bread and pita pockets are healthy bases for a nutritious lunch.’
- ‘They said they could tell because I had my morning bagel with wine instead of coffee.’
- ‘When the onion ring appetizer arrived we were astonished to see that it consisted of about two dozen rings the size of bagels.’
- ‘But in the morning, they reportedly are given fruit, bread, and bagels and cream cheese.’
- ‘In any case, a need to salvage some profit saw Rocca and Heather turn the returned bagels into bagel chips.’
- ‘They eat a nang, flat bread shaped like a bagel or pancake and made with wheat or corn flour.’
- ‘Bagel Palace is to bagels what Cindarella's castle in Disney is to Buckingham Palace in England.’
- ‘Although, if they were dunking Nacho Cheese bagels in their coffee I would have shmeared my eyes out.’
- ‘For example, those of us from the East coast mentioned the lack of good bagels or corned beef in Seattle.’
- ‘Nonetheless, she bakes great bagels at the market and there's no doubting the appreciation of her customers.’
- ‘One Thursday, a special tray of bagels was baked in honor of Massouda because she had asked for them.’
- ‘But you can gain more from grains by selecting whole wheat or whole grain pasta, bagels and bread.’
- ‘As broker and owner he always brought in a box of fresh rolls and bagels and cranked up the coffee pot for the meeting.’
- ‘For breakfast, Graham eats a bagel with tofu cream cheese, tomato and turkey bacon.’
- ‘Trail mix, smoothies and bagels with peanut butter are also good options.’
- ‘Bread gets bashed in a rucksack, but muffins and bagels survive well: cinnamon ones are good.’
Early 20th century (as beigel): from Yiddish beygel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.