Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
phrasal verbNorth american
Criticize.‘I don't know why everyone is bagging on Palmer’
find fault with, censure, denounce, condemn, arraign, attack, lambaste, pillory, disapprove of, carp at, cavil at, rail against, inveigh against, cast aspersions on, pour scorn on, disparage, denigrate, deprecate, malign, vilify, besmirch, run down, give a bad press toView synonyms
- ‘I always hate to bag on a movie but I have to admit that this one was a tough one to get through.’
- ‘We all love original horror films and a lot of us love to bag on studios and their horror remakes, gimmicks and 3D trickery.’
- ‘There's no need to bag on someone for not agreeing with you.’
- ‘As much as we bag on our elected officials (and deservedly so) this is the kind of stuff that takes up a large portion of their day.’
- ‘He says I've been bagging on the Phillies too much.’
- ‘People like to bag on The Walking Dead because it concerns itself more with people arguing than people fighting zombies, but that's the whole point.’
- ‘Ah, everybody's bagging on Frankie.’
- ‘I don't know why people are still bagging on her.’
- ‘It's not my style to bag on people unless they do something egregiously wrong.’
- ‘There are a lot of smug haters out there who bag on my choice of a name, but I don't care about what they think.’
- ‘For you losers that are bagging on her about this being her third marriage she was married the first time for 4 years, the second time for 16 years.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.