One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Software that has been installed on a computer without a user's knowledge or control.
- ‘Going forward, StopBadware will play even more of a role as the hub of communication and collaboration among organizations committed to fighting badware.’
- ‘In our preliminary findings, we find that the free version is currently badware because it installs additional software without telling the user, it forces the user to take certain actions, it adds various components to the taskbar without disclosure, and it may automatically update without the user's consent.’
- ‘What with adware, malware or badware and the ominous sounding spyware we seem to be bombarded with diverse descriptions for malicious programs.’
- ‘"However, we have found that Web site owners are often not aware that their sites contain or link to badware."’
- ‘At its least malevolent, badware infests your PC with popups and tracks your surfing details via an application that has crept on to your system without your knowledge or permission.’
- ‘At its worst, "badware" - an over-arching term for all sorts of spyware, adware, viruses and Trojan horse programs - is implicated in identity theft and credit card fraud.’
- ‘According to the Washington Post, the "number of phishing Web sites skyrocketed in December, as did the number of sites designed to spread password-stealing badware, according to the most recent report from the Anti-Phishing Working Group."’
- ‘Weinstein's group defines badware as software over which the user is not in control.’
- ‘"It's the idea of community and really building an active group of people who are tied together by a common hatred of malware, people who really have a personal stake in getting rid of badware," Weinstein says.’
- ‘At the time, we were already anticipating the issue and had added "Don't create pages that install viruses, trojans, or other badware."’
- ‘The term was coined to distinguish it from other kinds of malevolent programs, such as the aforementioned spyware, badware or malware and adware.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.