Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
Behaviour, characteristics, or actions regarded as formidably impressive.‘few of us can attain her level of badassery’
coercion, compulsion, constraint, duress, oppression, enforcement, harassment, intimidation, threats, pressure, pressurization, influenceView synonyms
- ‘Ready for some heavy guitar badassery to rock out the rest of your day to?’
- ‘Being useful is always less important to her than getting to strut her stuff and show off her badassery.’
- ‘The $20 million film opened to a strong $24.7 million, but thanks to amazing word of mouth and sheer curiosity at the relentless over-the-top badassery, the film chugged all the way to $145 million.’
- ‘Look, this won't be a revelatory experience, but if you're in the mood for some throwback badassery - the sort of gritty, grounded "action" show that just doesn't get made anymore - Mannix might just be worth your time.’
- ‘Most important, he learned how to make and shoot arrows (no clue yet as to where he got his awesome bow) plus develops some cat-quick jumping skills that he mixes in with all kinds of non-gun-related badassery.’
- ‘He's always a reliable bet if you need someone to give a cast a much-needed injection of badassery.’
- ‘Afterwards, even though most of the episode revolved around Xander's feelings of inferiority, he feels no need to mention the escapade to his friends to prove his badassery.’
- ‘I've come to realize that different people have a different perception of what badassery is all about.’
- ‘The scene is a bravura sequence of crackerjack tension, demonstrating our hero's quick thinking and street smarts in addition to his already-known badassery.’
- ‘I am just hella impressed by her badassery.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.