One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A debt that cannot be recovered.
- ‘As the accounts stated, the loss was due to claims under a policy written for the solicitors' indemnity fund and for bad debts on reinsurance recoveries.’
- ‘As a result, banks became burdened with bad debts and lending to companies for expansion dried up.’
- ‘With regard to debts, the taxpayer need only establish that a particular debt has become a bad debt in the current year to qualify for the election.’
- ‘The timing of this move was strange, coming when the economy is still slowing and therefore the prospect of bad debts should be rising.’
- ‘This increases the tendency toward bad debts and even credit contraction.’
- ‘But it's because of our credit tightening that our bad debt isn't worsening.’
- ‘The bank expects to write off massive amounts of money as bad debt from its loan book value and shrink its asset base after correct recalculation of the loans.’
- ‘This provision is necessary to properly match built-in gains and losses relating to accounting for bad debts.’
- ‘The problem for the financial sector is that they don't want to admit the size of their bad debts, for fear that if they did, they would then be insolvent.’
- ‘Japan's government has signalled that key policies for dealing with the huge bad debt overshadowing the banking and corporate sectors could be delayed.’
- ‘The financier eventually receives the proceeds of the debts, the trader usually agreeing to repurchase any bad debts.’
- ‘The agency typically collects within 30 days and has no history of writing off bad debts.’
- ‘They are repricing assets and, in effect, writing down bad debts at an astonishing pace.’
- ‘Under Government supervision, banks will set guidelines to deal with financially crippled borrowers and get rid of their bad debt.’
- ‘One of the key determinants of overall earnings performance in the next twelve months will be the bank's ability to contain bad debts.’
- ‘There has been no deterioration in credit quality and provision levels for bad debts are expected to be at the same level as last year.’
- ‘That's one reason the industry is stepping up efforts to manage the bad debt.’
- ‘Your credit history includes charge-offs, bad debts, and late payments for a period of seven years.’
- ‘There was a cash surplus from grants, income from the land fill, recovery of bad debts and additional interest on investments.’
- ‘The financial crisis has now left many of these banks on the verge of insolvency with large portfolios of insecure loans and bad debts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.