Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The two-humped camel, which has been domesticated but is still found wild in central Asia.→ camel
- ‘But the two-humped Bactrian camels the group of mainly middle-aged women were given to ride turned out to be a little too wild.’
- ‘Though wild Bactrian camels and bears tend to inhabit its more inaccessible areas, the Gobi has enough diversity of habitat to be teeming with life.’
- ‘Another animal newly classified is the wild Bactrian camel from China and Mongolia, which has been hunted because it competes with domestic camels for water and grazing.’
- ‘Like many other wild ungulates, Bactrian camels live in social groups dominated by a single male, but I had no idea that a bull could control such a large harem.’
- ‘With two jeeps and a supply truck, we establish a base camp in Hongliugou Valley, where we have arrangements to hire twenty domesticated Bactrian camels.’
- ‘In 2001, for example, the U.N. Environment Program declared that the wild Bactrian camels were a newly discovered species.’
- ‘In the 1920s an Asian elephant and a Bactrian camel were bought and put into service, taking visitors on rides around the zoo.’
- ‘The wild Bactrian camel, a two-humped ancestor of domesticated camels, is now critically endangered in its native habitat in the harsh deserts of Northwest China and Mongolia.’
- ‘On our trek, which has covered 132 miles in ten days, we have counted 141 wild Bactrian camels.’
- ‘In October 2003, twelve captive wild Bactrian camels were moved to the new holding area near Bayan Tooroi in time for the 2003-2004 breeding season.’
- ‘It is estimated that no more than 660 wild Bactrian camels, Camelus bactrianus ferus, and possibly as few as 500 survive in China.’
- ‘Though it is likely the ancestor of domesticated camels, he notes that studies suggest a significant DNA difference between wild and domesticated Bactrian camels.’
- ‘It's midnight by the time the car, snaking through the shifting sand of the Kara Kum desert, patrolled by Bactrian camels silhouetted in the twilight, reaches Ashgabat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.