One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rupture of bacterial cells, especially by an antibody.
- ‘Once the complement is bound, it attacks the antigen: the bacterium is destroyed by bacteriolysis.’
- ‘The complement system plays an important role in a host's defence mechanisms, such as in immune bacteriolysis, neutralization of viruses, immune adherence, immunoconglutination and in enhancement of phagocytosis.’
- ‘This process, which he called hemolysis, was analogous to bacteriolysis and also required complement.’
- ‘Further, when centrifugal separation or filtration is carried out in order to separate the bacterial cells, a long time is required because the bacterial cells have caused bacteriolysis.’
- ‘Serum antibodies to capsular polysaccharides confer protection against meningococcal disease by activating complement-dependent bacteriolysis and, possibly, by opsonization.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.