One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rupture of bacterial cells, especially by an antibody.
- ‘Once the complement is bound, it attacks the antigen: the bacterium is destroyed by bacteriolysis.’
- ‘This process, which he called hemolysis, was analogous to bacteriolysis and also required complement.’
- ‘Further, when centrifugal separation or filtration is carried out in order to separate the bacterial cells, a long time is required because the bacterial cells have caused bacteriolysis.’
- ‘Serum antibodies to capsular polysaccharides confer protection against meningococcal disease by activating complement-dependent bacteriolysis and, possibly, by opsonization.’
- ‘The complement system plays an important role in a host's defence mechanisms, such as in immune bacteriolysis, neutralization of viruses, immune adherence, immunoconglutination and in enhancement of phagocytosis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.