Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Laboratory tests include microscopic examination of a peripheral blood smear, appropriate cultures and specific chemical, bacteriologic and viral studies, and serologic testing for collagen vascular disease.’
- ‘The reports of the postmortem examinations, including bacteriologic and toxicologic studies, were reviewed, and the microscopic slides, autopsy x-ray films, and photographs were studied.’
- ‘Apical thickening must also be distinguished from mesothelioma and tuberculosis, which may be suggested by history and bacteriologic findings.’
- ‘It is good practice, and a requirement of some regulatory and accrediting agencies, to keep a log of all specimens collected, including the time of collection and, in the case of bacteriologic specimens, the source of the specimen.’
- ‘The bacteriologic strategy has been used to guide decisions about whether to start antibiotic therapy, which pathogens are responsible for infection, which antimicrobial agents to use, and whether to continue therapy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.