Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
- ‘Storage customers understand that pure speed and the latest features are worth little if these new technologies are too difficult to implement or are not backward-compatible with legacy products.’
- ‘We do make every attempt to fix security vulnerabilities as soon as possible, but some problems are harder than others to address, and harder to address in such a way that the fix is backwards-compatible.’
- ‘The new specification is backward-compatible with FireWire 400, though it will need a special adapter to connect.’
- ‘It doesn't try to do everything - just the most important - and its backward-compatible language and scalable format give us net-centric value at a reasonable cost.’
- ‘Even if there wasn't the demand for games to be backwards-compatible, it sends out a strong message: ‘We don't care about Japan’.’
- ‘Each new standard has been fully backward-compatible.’
- ‘Technically the only thing harder than making a new optical storage device is making it backward-compatible with something else.’
- ‘A book is guaranteed to be backwards-compatible.’
- ‘The handheld is also backward-compatible with approximately 1,000 games released for the 14-year-old platform.’
- ‘Be backward-compatible with all existing user-defined classes and extension objects that emulate sequences and mappings.’
- ‘While all these standards are backward-compatible, your speed will be that of the slowest component.’
- ‘We announced 12 more we're going to put up on the cluster of satellites where all the other services are, thus making it backward-compatible to our installed base.’
- ‘Is it important that your documents be backward-compatible with older or specialized browsing environments?’
- ‘All of the major tape suppliers have committed to standards and backward-compatible roadmaps that will ensure devices and software will be available that can read the tapes that are created today.’
- ‘So, until such time as they can field a backwards-compatible fix, they're going to hope no one else discovers it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.