One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gymnastic exercise in which a person tucks their head down and rolls their body in a backward circle on the floor.‘he impresses his partner with a backward roll during practice’
- ‘She singles me out in this class, and makes me try several backwards rolls to see if I can feel the difference.’
- ‘It wasn't just her singing that raised eyebrows, but also her doing the splits and a dodgy backwards roll!’
- ‘There's a rhythm to its backward rolls and acrobatic rises that's too often neglected now.’
- ‘Not many celebrities could do a backwards roll down an incline mat.’
- ‘Some team coaches seem to jump kids right into straight-arm backward rolls, bypassing bent-arm rolls.’
- ‘She is doing a backward roll into a handstand.’
- ‘Students are learning basic tumbling by practicing forward rolls, backward rolls, and cartwheels.’
- ‘At the gym club, we are learning to walk along the beam, run and jump on a springboard, and how to do forward and backward rolls down a soft wedge.’
- ‘The renowned specialist led pupils through techniques from forward and backward rolls to one-handed cartwheels.’
- ‘The first level concentrated on basic moves including forward rolls, backward rolls, and shoulder stands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.