Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The members of a caste or community who are recommended for special help in education and employment.
- ‘The object was to help the backward classes.’
- ‘Further, they could have been appointed after filling the vacancy for posts reserved for other backward classes and notified tribes.’
- ‘The founding fathers of the nation realised this and took corrective action by ensuring preferential treatment for the backward classes through the Constitution.’
- ‘Third, the Commission also studied the lists prepared by various State governments of backward classes in their States.’
- ‘India's affirmative-action laws reserve a minimum of 49.5 percent of federal government jobs for the previously disadvantaged or backward classes.’
- ‘We also refuted the allegation of the petitioners that reservation for the backward classes is disintegrative.’
- ‘This government will go all-out to protect the rights of farmers, workers and the backward classes.’
- ‘The second requirement is a properly prepared, and constitutionally valid, list of the backward classes who would be eligible for reservations.’
- ‘It has now promised to work with the government to improve employment opportunities for the backward classes.’
- ‘In 1999, many members of backward classes did not know that they belonged to backward classes.’
- ‘It felt that the concept came in the way of ensuring adequate representation of backward classes in the services of the state.’
- ‘The expenditure on higher education is budgeted to rise significantly to accommodate the expansion in seats needed to implement enhanced reservation for backward classes.’
- ‘Rajasthan is one of the States that did not have an all-purpose list of backward classes.’
- ‘It had a long history of affirmative action intended to make available real opportunity to socially backward classes.’
- ‘His sympathies were solidly with the backward classes.’
- ‘The rally for backward classes will be held in Hyderabad on January 21.’
- ‘Naturally, the values for the backward classes are the closest to the values for India on various indicators or parameters.’
- ‘Sanskrit still draws resistance from certain castes, especially the economically weaker sections and backward classes.’
- ‘Special emphasis has been placed on the welfare of the weaker sections, women and the backward classes.’
- ‘It is significant to note that the backward classes are considerably more vulnerable than the socially advanced category.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.