Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The members of a caste or community who are recommended for special help in education and employment.
- ‘The rally for backward classes will be held in Hyderabad on January 21.’
- ‘It felt that the concept came in the way of ensuring adequate representation of backward classes in the services of the state.’
- ‘His sympathies were solidly with the backward classes.’
- ‘It has now promised to work with the government to improve employment opportunities for the backward classes.’
- ‘Naturally, the values for the backward classes are the closest to the values for India on various indicators or parameters.’
- ‘It is significant to note that the backward classes are considerably more vulnerable than the socially advanced category.’
- ‘The founding fathers of the nation realised this and took corrective action by ensuring preferential treatment for the backward classes through the Constitution.’
- ‘It had a long history of affirmative action intended to make available real opportunity to socially backward classes.’
- ‘The expenditure on higher education is budgeted to rise significantly to accommodate the expansion in seats needed to implement enhanced reservation for backward classes.’
- ‘The object was to help the backward classes.’
- ‘Third, the Commission also studied the lists prepared by various State governments of backward classes in their States.’
- ‘Further, they could have been appointed after filling the vacancy for posts reserved for other backward classes and notified tribes.’
- ‘We also refuted the allegation of the petitioners that reservation for the backward classes is disintegrative.’
- ‘India's affirmative-action laws reserve a minimum of 49.5 percent of federal government jobs for the previously disadvantaged or backward classes.’
- ‘Sanskrit still draws resistance from certain castes, especially the economically weaker sections and backward classes.’
- ‘In 1999, many members of backward classes did not know that they belonged to backward classes.’
- ‘Special emphasis has been placed on the welfare of the weaker sections, women and the backward classes.’
- ‘Rajasthan is one of the States that did not have an all-purpose list of backward classes.’
- ‘The second requirement is a properly prepared, and constitutionally valid, list of the backward classes who would be eligible for reservations.’
- ‘This government will go all-out to protect the rights of farmers, workers and the backward classes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.