One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remote country districts, especially when considered to be unsophisticated or conservative.
countryside, green belt, great outdoorsView synonyms
- ‘The motor-car was now beginning to make its first appearance in the backveld, and a small motor transport corps rendered excellent service.’
- ‘The popular antipathy on the backveld towards geological and engineering science constituted a serious ideological obstacle to state water boring.’
- ‘Thus inducted, these mechanic para-geologists were dispersed through the backveld, each in charge of a drill, and spent a minimum of three years working in a division to acquire experience, reading and boring the local geology.’
- ‘These state-printed-and-distributed texts were an important medium for educating the backveld in geological theory and hydraulic engineering practice.’
- ‘Even so this was chiefly at the expense of Labour, while the Nationalist tide rose still higher on the backveld.’
Partial translation of Afrikaans agterveld, literally ‘back countryside’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.