One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sword with only one cutting edge.
- ‘The grips of the backswords are covered with wire-wrapped genuine rayskin and the basket liners are crafted in fabric-covered leather.’
- ‘Whereas the ‘cudgel’ was, as stated, for learning the use of the backsword / broadsword.’
- ‘This course will draw from the Pallas Armata and build combatants able to fence competitively with the backsword.’
- ‘For single-edged backswords, only 1/2’ of foam need be used for the back edge.’
- ‘Some backswords do have a short false edge, but one would think that he would then have preferred to make the final cut with the front edge.’
- ‘This is a copy of a basket hilted backsword which is in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.’
- ‘With a blast of bagpipes, the 78th Fraser Highlanders march out a side door, Scottish backswords raised, and solemnly lead His Royal Highness into the Winter Garden Show.’
- ‘Their Scottish backsword is fitted with opposing side rings that offer a good deal of hand protection while keeping the hilt light and easy to wear.’
- ‘The other ranks were issued Basket-hilt backswords while the Officers had to supply their own.’
- ‘The blade was generally double edged, though single-edged versions known as backswords were not uncommon.’
- ‘By the second quarter of the 18th century the broadsword was declining in use and the backsword, which is a thick-backed single-edged blade, was coming into more common use, and unfortunately many of the double- and triple-fullered blades of the 17th century were altered into backswords by grinding down one edge and bringing the point back about one-third of the way from the end.’
- ‘We wanted to develop a serious tactical backsword optimized for personal defense situations.’
- ‘David, it is possible that, according to him the backsword was a larger version of the single stick.’
- ‘That's right, I'm talking about the correct use of broadswords, backswords, sabers, cutlasses, & spadroons.’
- ‘Fine basket-hilted broadswords and backswords would be carried suspended from tooled baldrics with brass or silver buckles and trim.’
- ‘Combatants in these duels used a variety of weapons, including singlesticks, quarterstaffs, and backswords, and the bouts were often bloody and occasionally fatal.’
- ‘The edge parry was used with the Highland broadsword and backsword by 1728.’
- ‘In order to be proficient, he indicated that the following forms must be learned: rapier and dagger, staffe, backsword, single rapier, longsword and dagger, and shortsword and dagger.’
- ‘Reproduction swords include basket hilts, mortuary half baskets, rapiers, traditional claymores, officers' broadswords and backswords.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.