Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for water boatman
- ‘She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.’
- ‘Adult and larval backswimmers eat smaller animals in the water including bloodworms and aquatic larvae.’
- ‘From time to time the backswimmer will surface to empty and refill these chambers with a fresh supply of air.’
- ‘These fairy shrimps and backswimmers constitute the majority of the macroinvertebrates captured in these ponds.’
- ‘Holding its pale back away from the sunlight makes the backswimmer harder for predators to spot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.