One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for water boatman (sense 1 of the noun)
- ‘Holding its pale back away from the sunlight makes the backswimmer harder for predators to spot.’
- ‘Adult and larval backswimmers eat smaller animals in the water including bloodworms and aquatic larvae.’
- ‘These fairy shrimps and backswimmers constitute the majority of the macroinvertebrates captured in these ponds.’
- ‘From time to time the backswimmer will surface to empty and refill these chambers with a fresh supply of air.’
- ‘She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.