Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Swept, slanted, or sloped backwards.‘his backswept hair’
- ‘The ships were the kind of swift feluccas preferred by the desert warlords, with odd-looking lateen sails and long, backswept oars pointing downwards into the water.’
- ‘Designed especially for the no-till openers, the Angled Tooth Closing Wheel features a thin, backswept angled tooth which allows for easy soil penetration, improved seed furrow closing and optimum seed-to-soil contact.’
- ‘Most of the pictures showed Frank senior in his early forties, with his broad gleaming grin and backswept hair.’
- ‘The head is adorned with two horns, a crest that reaches partway down the neck, three backswept short spikes at the corners of the jaws, and backswept tendrils at the corners of the eyes and the sides of the head.’
- ‘The large eye-catching flowers 1 to 4 inches across are usually red and yellow and have six backswept, often crinkled, petals and protruding stamens.’
- ‘The team has made a minor design change to the wing extension from a blended winglet ™ to a commercially proven raked or backswept wing tip, to better suit the Navy's unique mission requirements and increases overall performance for maritime patrol missions.’
- ‘It had fangs sticking out of its upper and lower jaw, which was common enough, but no wings straddling the row of spikes that also ran, backswept, over its back.’
- ‘It has three different styles of backswept fertilizer knives, including the N - 19, which are great for use with vegetable crops.’
- ‘‘The sweeps are now cast metal and the backswept knife runs shallower, requiring less power,’ he says.’
- ‘The backswept tooth configuration also delivers self-cleaning action to reduce build-up in damp or sticky soils, while the improved hubcap design speeds assembly and installation.’
- ‘The compressor is of radial type and provided with an impeller with backswept blades where the blade angle between an imaginary extension of the center line of the blade between root section and tip section in the direction of the outlet tangent and a line which connects the center axis of the impeller to the outer tip of the blade is at least roughly 45°.’
- ‘This airflow creates a drag force that is substantially reduced by winglets and backswept wingtips resulting in increased flying range and reduced fuel consumption.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.