One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mark stamped on the back of a plate or a letter.
- ‘The ‘CO number’ under the backstamp is just my way of referring to the mark - they have no significance at all.’
- ‘All BG backstamps between 1982 and 1999 have the figures 8 and 2 in the backstamp.’
- ‘It features a gold-painted 60th-anniversary backstamp along with the Animators' Choice designation.’
- ‘On the reverse of a Cloisonne or Epola hard enamel pin can be molded a raised base metal backstamp of a small graphic or script such as a website address.’
- ‘This section will be updated soon with more backstamps and information!’
- ‘The new oval design replaced the previous backstamps of the Botanic Garden and Pomona ranges.’
- ‘Further, the evidence suggests that they were not too strict in their use of backstamps and some were used long after they had been superseded.’
- ‘Here we are slowly putting up the backstamps by maker.’
- ‘Just to make life difficult for the collector, some items do and others do not have, a backstamp.’
- ‘Open stock price lists, as well as the backstamps on each item, included the names of the scenes.’
- ‘Acquire the ability to recognize and be on the lookout for overglaze decals in the center of a plate, platter, bowl or the like, as well as overglaze backstamps.’
- ‘Check out our backstamps and dating page for some fascinating and helpful information and gallery of historical backstamps.’
- ‘There are other Hall backstamps, but these are the ones that will be found on teapots.’
- ‘Using different backstamps would allow the pottery to convey a different meaning to the same piece of ware.’
- ‘He used the pattern name, or sometimes the shape name, in his backstamps.’
- ‘Postmark is April 29, 1937, and the backstamp is Manila April 29, 1937, as part of the first contract flight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.