Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for splashback
- ‘The tiler wanted us to appreciate the fact that the kitchen wouldn't be finished until the tile backsplash was put in and that if we failed to show proper deference he might not show up at all.’
- ‘Mottled red-gray slate tiles surface the backsplash and a long side wall; the counters are stainless steel or black granite with chiseled edges.’
- ‘The same recycled glass tile from the kitchen backsplash finds its way onto the bathroom floor with larger squares of glass applied to the walls.’
- ‘For instance, if you collect coffee mugs, you may want to design your backsplash with colorful coffee mug tiles.’
- ‘You can also paint vertical tiles that don't get much wear like a kitchen backsplash or bathroom walls with regular latex paint.’
- ‘The sleek faucet and spout attach directly to the backsplash.’
- ‘Glass mosaic tile is used for the backsplash, the countertop is cold-rolled steel, and a storage cabinet of birch includes a built-in hamper to keep dirty clothes from landing on the floor.’
- ‘Apply a bead of sealant on the backsplash, push the counter against the wall, and attach the top from below with screws installed through cabinet corner braces.’
- ‘For ease of maintenance, use smooth tiles in the shower/tub area and around backsplashes.’
- ‘The material you choose for surfaces including counters, backsplashes and floors can also account for variations in price.’
- ‘This metamorphic rock works equally well for floors, hearths and fireplaces, backsplashes, counters, and patios.’
- ‘Most prewar kitchens had ceramic tile countertops and backsplashes, and many of the original patterns and colors are now back in production.’
- ‘Glass tiles create jewel-like depth on walls, backsplashes, and light-use floors.’
- ‘Complete the transformation with a single row of cream and taupe tiles for the backsplash, a woven window shade accented with red cotton banding, and walls dressed in timeless toile wallpaper.’
- ‘Adding colorful tiles to the backsplash of a kitchen is becoming a popular and easy way to add a new, sophisticated look to the room.’
- ‘Designers often use glass tiles as decorative accents in backsplashes, showers, pool borders, floors, and even on the risers between stair treads.’
- ‘A man pushes a mop over the floor, someone else is shining up a metal backsplash.’
- ‘His solution was to build a half-wall that serves as a counter backsplash on the kitchen side and a stair rail on the other.’
- ‘Gail ordered Mexican tiles for the stove backsplash, and Bill took a day off from work to help her set them.’
- ‘The custom cabinets look like bright circus blocks, the tile backsplash has a harlequin pattern, and the pendant lights resemble spun cotton candy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.