One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
recidivist, regressorView synonyms
- ‘Today the forces offer planned careers for young men and women who are intent on gaining a professional training and there is no room for backsliders, unwilling recruits or recalcitrant conscripts.’
- ‘In my last piece titled ‘To hell with backsliders,’ I said that, ‘All over the world regional trading blocks are either being formed or enhanced by political will.’’
- ‘To many folk it sounds as if I'm being lazy, or being a backslider, or shunning the group.’
- ‘Yes, many people were still angry but it was also noticeable that the apologists and backsliders were beginning to gather force.’
- ‘But as the slowdown bit, unemployment rose and tax revenues fell, finance ministers became increasingly restive under a regime which asked for balanced budgets and promised fines for backsliders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.