One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘As a former international with 108 caps, he has taken steps to shield his players from DFB officials, sponsors and other backslappers, especially during team meals.’
- ‘The story does, however, tell a truth about him - he is cast as the backslapper because his contemporaries expected impudence and a light heart from him.’
- ‘He has not actually gone from hero to zero, but he will need no reminders that if he does not get a grip soon, all the backslappers who emerged from the woodwork post-Sydney will be queuing to wring his neck.’
- ‘He isn't a backslapper, or a world-class speaker.’
- ‘If anything, the ‘backslapper’ and ‘working man's champ’ type was better known in the industrial districts of the US, than it ever was in Labour (with a ‘u’) movement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.