One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plate placed at or forming the back of something.
- ‘The measuring and cutting of the backplate was the worst job to date.’
- ‘When using twin cylinders they are connected together with cylinder bands and the backplate is attached via wing nuts onto the studding that clamps the bands to the cylinders.’
- ‘The first thing you need to do is prepare the backplate which entails sticking a neoprene pad to the metal plate and putting four plastic rings into the guide holes.’
- ‘The backplate has a square rubber pad surrounded by an adhesive pad.’
- ‘Models for utilitarian pieces such as doorknobs, backplates, and drawer pulls are stored in separate boxes from the models for garland appliques, plaques, and figural mounts.’
- ‘Place the backplate under the motherboard, and screw in the retention bracket with the four included Phillips screws to complete the process.’
- ‘The third step is to mount the wheels on the arbors and to place these assemblies between the front- and backplates in such a way that the wheels and pinions mesh and turn freely.’
- ‘A custom backplate is used, so the first instruction is always ‘remove the motherboard from the case’.’
- ‘Included in the package are the four LED feet themselves, some double-sided sticky circles, a PCI backplate, a mounting screw and finally a bundle of wires.’
- ‘It even has a rubber backplate that allows for a firm grip and helps to transmit vibrations thanks to your music or ambient sounds.’
- ‘It's not entirely tool-less, as the backplates for the cards need to be screwed into place and so do hard drives etc.’
- ‘Additional illumination for reading is provided by minimalist LED headboard lights with specially designed square chrome backplates.’
- ‘Wait, if the wings come out when I have my backplate on, wouldn't I ruin either the wings or the backplate?’
- ‘In most cases, removal of the motherboard is required, though once the backplates are in, the rest is a snap to do.’
- ‘Then cautiously place the motherboard in the case to determine where the copper standoffs, to lift the motherboard off of the metal backplate, need to be mounted.’
- ‘The retail package includes the standard accessories along with the motherboard - a backplate, cables, a nice printed manual and driver CD.’
- ‘Use the two included screws and secure the retention plate to the backplate.’
- ‘In others, thin faceplates and backplates are bonded to ribbed support structures, in which the support units are made by the assembly of small rib parts or by bulk-material removal using abrasive water-jet machining.’
- ‘I also use this wing with a stainless-steel backplate, as this offers a solid mounting point for all my equipment, and it is very adaptable when mounting to other cylinder configurations.’
- ‘Faint scars marking the original pierced backplates confirm that the simpler brass bails on the top drawer are replacements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.