Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Since flower petals are usually translucent, backlighting can give them an iridescent glow that accentuates the flower's color and brings it to life.’
- ‘Sensational smoky backlighting also accentuated the band's striking stage presence, as they stood as black silhouettes in a swirling, full-lit stage.’
- ‘An emailer suggests that the difference between the two pictures is a fluke of backlighting and the camera's automatic light meter.’
- ‘By the way, the motor driven door, the LCD display and the luminescent backlighting keep working even when the system is off.’
- ‘Instead of ordinary fluorescent backlighting, the developer team employed white LED-based backlighting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.