Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a woman's garment) cut low at the back.‘a backless lycra dress’
- ‘Today, she is wearing a layered, backless dress constructed of unmatching cloth panels and vertiginous gold Mary-Janes.’
- ‘Zach knew she must be cold since her dress was backless and sleeveless.’
- ‘She grabbed her brush, and sang along, as she dug through her closet for her deep purple backless gown.’
- ‘It was winter and everyone else was wearing normal clothes, but she had on a red backless halterneck dress, a tan corduroy cloth cap, and big silver hoop earrings.’
- ‘I got showed and threw on a pair of silver bell bottoms and a red and black backless shirt.’
- ‘She was thankful, at least, that the hospital let her wear her own pajamas rather than one of their backless gowns.’
- ‘Tackle the chill factor when wearing your favorite backless or strapless pieces by wrapping up in cashmere, velvet or wool shawls.’
- ‘The backless dress was studded with hundreds of crystals and the dressmakers actually moulded the bodice around Mary's body first so it fitted her to perfection.’
- ‘I assure you that when you do look especially good (like when you wear a backless dress and do that thing with your hair), you will hear about it.’
- ‘None of her shirts were backless or extremely low cut.’
- ‘Her outfit - a thigh-length, tasselled, backless dress - drew gasps from the audience.’
- ‘I can't see her face, but she's wearing a backless dress, and her back is smooth and angular.’
- ‘As she slid into the black backless gown, she felt Stefan's gaze watching her every movement.’
- ‘The design of the backless dress adds an extra sexy element.’
- ‘She was clad in a long, backless dress, and her hair was up, but a few strands were loose to frame her face.’
- ‘There was glorious sunshine for the photographs and Nikki looked stunning in her white backless dress.’
- ‘The backless gown was flattering; she was not a very voluptuous woman, but she was certainly not shapeless either.’
- ‘An absolute stunner: the backless gown in silver is held in place by tiny, invisible straps.’
- ‘And why would any director put someone who is only skin and bones in a backless dress?’
- ‘The bride wore a white satin backless gown scattered with crystals, and carried a bouquet of white roses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.