One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recorded musical accompaniment, especially one for a soloist to play or sing along with.
- ‘Too frequently, the music sounds like backing tracks awaiting a great soloist to step forward; too infrequently one does.’
- ‘Fortunately, the backing track overpowers the unrelenting lyrical assault, making the song enjoyable regardless of its difficulties.’
- ‘Youngsters who sing on the backing track for the new advert have been presented with a copy of their recording.’
- ‘But a lavish stage show budget allows all sorts of backing tracks and monitoring to compensate for their slim numbers.’
- ‘He began a solo career singing along to backing tracks on a tape recorder.’
- ‘He was used to arriving at a studio to find the backing tracks already recorded.’
- ‘So I went and ad-libbed to some backing tracks and they took me on straight away.’
- ‘'Karaoke' is a Japanese word that means singing to pre-recorded backing tracks of popular songs that have had their lead vocals removed.’
- ‘It mostly seems like they cut and pasted the vocals over the backing tracks, which adds to the disappointment.’
- ‘I'm not one for attacking musicians for playing along to backing tracks.’
- ‘She spent two years singing backing tracks for other artists.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the backing track pops and grooves, slides easily from one sonic moment to the next, and envelops the many layers of synth seamlessly.’
- ‘Devoted fans will recognize a lot of the original backing tracks, which all have been remixed and dubbed up with plenty of spacey echo, harsh delay, copious reverb, and psychedelic sound effects.’
- ‘And there are a lot of interesting sounds in the backing tracks of hip-hop, too, as well as innovative vocal techniques.’
- ‘While most sang with backing tracks, those who did not impressed the judges with their vocal and timing abilities on some difficult songs.’
- ‘On this fourth album, the poetic singer/songwriter guitarist, who makes his own electronic loops and backing tracks, is more ghostly than folksy.’
- ‘A stream of session musicians had been brought in to play the backing tracks on the album to give them some musical content.’
- ‘As it stands, it's hard to imagine a bigger waste of great backing tracks.’
- ‘The band consist of just two members, a vocalist/guitarist and a vocalist/bassist with the drums played upon a backing track.’
- ‘Despite her public ‘aw shucks’ persona, the girl can sing - it's just a shame that she's never really allowed to soar, afforded little room to move within the unimaginative backing tracks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.