One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recorded musical accompaniment, especially one for a soloist to play or sing along with.
- ‘He began a solo career singing along to backing tracks on a tape recorder.’
- ‘He was used to arriving at a studio to find the backing tracks already recorded.’
- ‘While most sang with backing tracks, those who did not impressed the judges with their vocal and timing abilities on some difficult songs.’
- ‘Despite her public ‘aw shucks’ persona, the girl can sing - it's just a shame that she's never really allowed to soar, afforded little room to move within the unimaginative backing tracks.’
- ‘It mostly seems like they cut and pasted the vocals over the backing tracks, which adds to the disappointment.’
- ‘Fortunately, the backing track overpowers the unrelenting lyrical assault, making the song enjoyable regardless of its difficulties.’
- ‘Too frequently, the music sounds like backing tracks awaiting a great soloist to step forward; too infrequently one does.’
- ‘The band consist of just two members, a vocalist/guitarist and a vocalist/bassist with the drums played upon a backing track.’
- ‘She spent two years singing backing tracks for other artists.’
- ‘I'm not one for attacking musicians for playing along to backing tracks.’
- ‘Youngsters who sing on the backing track for the new advert have been presented with a copy of their recording.’
- ‘As it stands, it's hard to imagine a bigger waste of great backing tracks.’
- ‘'Karaoke' is a Japanese word that means singing to pre-recorded backing tracks of popular songs that have had their lead vocals removed.’
- ‘A stream of session musicians had been brought in to play the backing tracks on the album to give them some musical content.’
- ‘But a lavish stage show budget allows all sorts of backing tracks and monitoring to compensate for their slim numbers.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the backing track pops and grooves, slides easily from one sonic moment to the next, and envelops the many layers of synth seamlessly.’
- ‘On this fourth album, the poetic singer/songwriter guitarist, who makes his own electronic loops and backing tracks, is more ghostly than folksy.’
- ‘So I went and ad-libbed to some backing tracks and they took me on straight away.’
- ‘Devoted fans will recognize a lot of the original backing tracks, which all have been remixed and dubbed up with plenty of spacey echo, harsh delay, copious reverb, and psychedelic sound effects.’
- ‘And there are a lot of interesting sounds in the backing tracks of hip-hop, too, as well as innovative vocal techniques.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.