Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for secondary storage of data that typically has greater capacity than the primary store but is slower to access.
- ‘If this page is subsequently evicted to backing store, it will be read from there on further page faults.’
- ‘This is set because our filesystem will live entirely in RAM and will not have a backing store of the data on any physical device, like a disk.’
- ‘Although relational databases cover 90% of use cases, there are times when different backing stores are handy.’
- ‘These defaults will be returned if no preference value has been set, or if the backing store is inaccessible.’
- ‘Maybe backing store support is still fully maintained and perhaps we are simply not using it correctly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.