Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An official briefing or handout giving background information.
press conference, conference, meeting, question and answer sessionView synonyms
- ‘The general tells the story about how he had been away from the Pentagon for a while and then was (as I remember) brought back to give a backgrounder.’
- ‘When he was an MP it was left to as assistant to prepare detailed backgrounders for his questions in Parliament.’
- ‘For more information about these award-winning examples of fully deployed innovative applications of AI, as well as emerging applications that are still under development, see the backgrounders in the electronic AAAI Press room.’
- ‘Non-Indian readers and, I dare say, many Indian readers will find it a useful backgrounder.’
- ‘She has compiled an excellent backgrounder on the different reform proposals at the Council on Foreign Relations web site.’
- ‘Please read our backgrounder on Urie and Rocketplane for additional information.’
- ‘Influenza Pandemic Awareness Week continues with three backgrounders.’
- ‘A year and a half ago he did a press briefing, a backgrounder, in which he praised the president.’
- ‘When I had my backgrounder with you all, I had all the information.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.