One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official briefing or handout giving background information.‘their departure had to be explained by aides in a backgrounder the next day’
press conference, conference, meeting, question and answer sessionView synonyms
- ‘A year and a half ago he did a press briefing, a backgrounder, in which he praised the president.’
- ‘The general tells the story about how he had been away from the Pentagon for a while and then was (as I remember) brought back to give a backgrounder.’
- ‘When he was an MP it was left to as assistant to prepare detailed backgrounders for his questions in Parliament.’
- ‘She has compiled an excellent backgrounder on the different reform proposals at the Council on Foreign Relations web site.’
- ‘Please read our backgrounder on Urie and Rocketplane for additional information.’
- ‘For more information about these award-winning examples of fully deployed innovative applications of AI, as well as emerging applications that are still under development, see the backgrounders in the electronic AAAI Press room.’
- ‘Non-Indian readers and, I dare say, many Indian readers will find it a useful backgrounder.’
- ‘When I had my backgrounder with you all, I had all the information.’
- ‘Influenza Pandemic Awareness Week continues with three backgrounders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.