Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The uniform microwave radiation remaining from the Big Bang.
- ‘It's called the cosmic background radiation - radiation that originated in that primordial fire ball.’
- ‘Even in the vacuum of deep space, temperatures measure approximately 3K due to background radiation left over from the big bang.’
- ‘We are also exposed to naturally occurring radiation or background radiation.’
- ‘Atoms, molecules, and dust particles floating in in, however, would reach an equilibrium temperature with the cosmic background radiation left over from the Big Bang.’
- ‘This microwave interference came to be recognized as cosmic background radiation, a remnant of the Big Bang.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.