One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Music intended as an unobtrusive accompaniment to an activity or to provide atmosphere in a film.
- ‘If I had to suggest a downside to the Patio, it would have to be the choice of tunes masquerading as background music.’
- ‘We would then have our pianist pick his own background music and start to play somewhere in the skit.’
- ‘Have the right lights and soft background music to have the greatest impact.’
- ‘The finest cuisine was offered, complemented by soft background music by the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.’
- ‘Using background music or sounds, unless you're selling music, is probably a bad idea.’
- ‘The pervasive background music tries to provide emotion, and the costume design tries to supply character.’
- ‘The background music was funky jazz, just right for a Saturday lunchtime.’
- ‘Your recent works are known for the harmonious rapport with background music.’
- ‘He's certainly not background music and the lyrics clearly enunciated in his Dublin accent cannot be ignored.’
- ‘The background music is played at an unobtrusive level and there is little or no traffic noise to disturb you.’
- ‘Surely the ballet's creators wanted this music to set the scene, not to be used as background music.’
- ‘Though he has won an award in the first film in which he scored music as well as background music, it had been a patient wait for him.’
- ‘There was always background music in my dreams, and background music in my life really.’
- ‘The background music for the evening was provided by hundreds of birds that had come to rest in the trees dotting the campus.’
- ‘Bizarrely enough, an odd little comic tune plays as background music.’
- ‘There was no background music and film songs were strictly barred.’
- ‘His job was to provide background music while people talked, drank, and ate.’
- ‘This is not background music, or even imaginary soundtrack music: you need to listen.’
- ‘When they got there, she heard the band ending a song, and background music started playing.’
- ‘He seems to treat the game as background music, mere accompaniment for his solo.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.