One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Music intended as an unobtrusive accompaniment to an activity or to provide atmosphere in a film.
- ‘Though he has won an award in the first film in which he scored music as well as background music, it had been a patient wait for him.’
- ‘When they got there, she heard the band ending a song, and background music started playing.’
- ‘The pervasive background music tries to provide emotion, and the costume design tries to supply character.’
- ‘The background music for the evening was provided by hundreds of birds that had come to rest in the trees dotting the campus.’
- ‘Using background music or sounds, unless you're selling music, is probably a bad idea.’
- ‘The finest cuisine was offered, complemented by soft background music by the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.’
- ‘He's certainly not background music and the lyrics clearly enunciated in his Dublin accent cannot be ignored.’
- ‘There was always background music in my dreams, and background music in my life really.’
- ‘The background music is played at an unobtrusive level and there is little or no traffic noise to disturb you.’
- ‘There was no background music and film songs were strictly barred.’
- ‘He seems to treat the game as background music, mere accompaniment for his solo.’
- ‘This is not background music, or even imaginary soundtrack music: you need to listen.’
- ‘Your recent works are known for the harmonious rapport with background music.’
- ‘Have the right lights and soft background music to have the greatest impact.’
- ‘We would then have our pianist pick his own background music and start to play somewhere in the skit.’
- ‘Surely the ballet's creators wanted this music to set the scene, not to be used as background music.’
- ‘His job was to provide background music while people talked, drank, and ate.’
- ‘Bizarrely enough, an odd little comic tune plays as background music.’
- ‘The background music was funky jazz, just right for a Saturday lunchtime.’
- ‘If I had to suggest a downside to the Patio, it would have to be the choice of tunes masquerading as background music.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.