One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The movement of liquid or air back in the direction it was flowing from.‘when filling the tank, use an anti-siphon device to prevent backflow’‘the valves prevent backflow of blood into the veins’
- ‘Install a backflow valve to prevent sewer backup from coming into your home.’
- ‘Patients who have taken those drugs may have changes in their heart valves that cause leakiness and backflow of blood.’
- ‘Incorrectly installed systems can waste water and care must be taken not to contaminate mains water supplies through backflow.’
- ‘The lymphatic vessels, like veins, have one-way valves that prevent backflow.’
- ‘If backflow occurs during blood sample aspiration or from a transfusion, there also could be contamination.’
- ‘Other problems would be backflow into the system or a rising groundwater table that would allow seepage into the collection system.’
- ‘The essence of this approach, perhaps, is the avoidance of process waste by using automation to avoid "information backflow".’
- ‘The reverse flow of electricity or "backflow" can injure an unsuspecting utility worker.’
- ‘Venous ulceration occurs when the valves inside the veins become incompetent, leading to backflow and congestion of venous blood.’
- ‘Veins in the legs have valves which normally prevent any backflow of the blood on its way towards the heart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.