One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The movement of liquid or air back in the direction it was flowing from.‘when filling the tank, use an anti-siphon device to prevent backflow’‘the valves prevent backflow of blood into the veins’
- ‘The essence of this approach, perhaps, is the avoidance of process waste by using automation to avoid "information backflow".’
- ‘Incorrectly installed systems can waste water and care must be taken not to contaminate mains water supplies through backflow.’
- ‘Other problems would be backflow into the system or a rising groundwater table that would allow seepage into the collection system.’
- ‘If backflow occurs during blood sample aspiration or from a transfusion, there also could be contamination.’
- ‘Install a backflow valve to prevent sewer backup from coming into your home.’
- ‘Venous ulceration occurs when the valves inside the veins become incompetent, leading to backflow and congestion of venous blood.’
- ‘Patients who have taken those drugs may have changes in their heart valves that cause leakiness and backflow of blood.’
- ‘The reverse flow of electricity or "backflow" can injure an unsuspecting utility worker.’
- ‘Veins in the legs have valves which normally prevent any backflow of the blood on its way towards the heart.’
- ‘The lymphatic vessels, like veins, have one-way valves that prevent backflow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.