One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAmerican Football
1The area of play behind the line of scrimmage.
- ‘They will shift from the line of scrimmage to the backfield, or split out as receivers.’
- ‘You might even see him lined up in the backfield once or twice.’
- ‘The team is in a state of flux at two spots: the offensive line and the defensive backfield.’
- ‘To use four wide receivers, the Chargers took some basic pass protection away from the line of scrimmage and the backfield.’
- ‘He made three tackles in the Buc backfield and two more at the line of scrimmage.’
- 1.1 The players (quarterback and running backs) positioned in this area.
- ‘An effective run stuffer, he also can get into the backfield and pressure the quarterback.’
- ‘He has shown the versatility throughout his career to play any position in the defensive backfield.’
- ‘When it comes to the offensive backfield, they take a back seat to no team in the SEC.’
- ‘After taking a handoff deep in the backfield from the quarterback, the tailback picks a hole based on the blocking in front of him.’
- ‘They entered the offseason with a depleted defensive backfield, so adding a quality cornerback or safety is likely.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.