Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Comb (the hair) from the ends of the strands towards the scalp to make it look thicker.‘you can achieve a sixties feel by gently backcombing hair at the crown’
- ‘Could I genuinely add anything of note without coming across as another desperately backcombed fanboy?’
- ‘If you're out for a big night and want some serious volume, spray some super-hold hairspray at the crown of your head and backcomb your hair to give it an extra lift.’
- ‘There was neon, there were backcombed mullets, and there were real pop bands.’
- ‘But the stress put on the hair during a styling session, from having it pulled, teased, backcombed, brushed, twisted, coloured and curled, and from products that make it shine, look fuller and keep it in place, eventually takes its toll.’
- ‘You could flick your own crudely backcombed hair into your eyes, spill beer over yourself and press your ear to a speaker until the distortion bounces your brain around.’
- ‘Nobody went out without backcombing their hair.’
- ‘There are patterned yellow floor tiles, toffee-coloured leather sofas and a chocolate-boxy portrait of a woman with cat's eyes and backcombed hair.’
- ‘I was a bit of a rockabilly in those days, 50's gear, backcombed hair (it was cool, honest), and I used to wear circle skirts with tight polo-necked tops and a very, very cinched waist.’
- ‘First backcomb them to create volume, then fix the roots with hairspray.’
- ‘I had leopard skin leggings, a leopard skin top, my hair was all backcombed - it was horrible.’
- ‘He stared out the window the entire time the beautician curled and backcombed his wife's snowy hair.’
- ‘I'd like neatly ordered dreadlocks that aren't monstrously thick, so the idea is for them to partition my hair appropriately and then use the backcombing method.’
- ‘The Sixties marked the decade of the Bouffants - the famous backcombed buns.’
- ‘You can picture the shoulder pads, backcombed hair and robotic dance moves, but here is a band that is more danceable than many.’
- ‘Her backcombed and ratted coif doused in Aqua Net never looked any different to me but everyone went to great lengths to ensure she didn't get wet because no one wanted to listen to her.’
- ‘We struck up a conversation while F. finished backcombing and Aqua Netting his current client and out of the blue W. said, ‘You want to see what I gave myself for my 50th birthday?’’
- ‘Spray a bit of hair spray onto the crown of your hair and backcomb to give it some volume.’
- ‘In order to keep it looking rich and interesting, backcombing is combined with a gentle wave to create texture and volume.’
- ‘If performed incorrectly, the stress of teasing or backcombing hair can damage delicate strands.’
- ‘Lightly backcomb, spray and pin into a side swept position against the forehead.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.