Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Comb (the hair) from the ends of the strands towards the scalp to make it look thicker.‘you can achieve a sixties feel by gently backcombing hair at the crown’
- ‘He stared out the window the entire time the beautician curled and backcombed his wife's snowy hair.’
- ‘In order to keep it looking rich and interesting, backcombing is combined with a gentle wave to create texture and volume.’
- ‘I had leopard skin leggings, a leopard skin top, my hair was all backcombed - it was horrible.’
- ‘I'd like neatly ordered dreadlocks that aren't monstrously thick, so the idea is for them to partition my hair appropriately and then use the backcombing method.’
- ‘First backcomb them to create volume, then fix the roots with hairspray.’
- ‘I was a bit of a rockabilly in those days, 50's gear, backcombed hair (it was cool, honest), and I used to wear circle skirts with tight polo-necked tops and a very, very cinched waist.’
- ‘You can picture the shoulder pads, backcombed hair and robotic dance moves, but here is a band that is more danceable than many.’
- ‘Spray a bit of hair spray onto the crown of your hair and backcomb to give it some volume.’
- ‘You could flick your own crudely backcombed hair into your eyes, spill beer over yourself and press your ear to a speaker until the distortion bounces your brain around.’
- ‘There was neon, there were backcombed mullets, and there were real pop bands.’
- ‘If you're out for a big night and want some serious volume, spray some super-hold hairspray at the crown of your head and backcomb your hair to give it an extra lift.’
- ‘But the stress put on the hair during a styling session, from having it pulled, teased, backcombed, brushed, twisted, coloured and curled, and from products that make it shine, look fuller and keep it in place, eventually takes its toll.’
- ‘Could I genuinely add anything of note without coming across as another desperately backcombed fanboy?’
- ‘Nobody went out without backcombing their hair.’
- ‘We struck up a conversation while F. finished backcombing and Aqua Netting his current client and out of the blue W. said, ‘You want to see what I gave myself for my 50th birthday?’’
- ‘The Sixties marked the decade of the Bouffants - the famous backcombed buns.’
- ‘Her backcombed and ratted coif doused in Aqua Net never looked any different to me but everyone went to great lengths to ensure she didn't get wet because no one wanted to listen to her.’
- ‘Lightly backcomb, spray and pin into a side swept position against the forehead.’
- ‘If performed incorrectly, the stress of teasing or backcombing hair can damage delicate strands.’
- ‘There are patterned yellow floor tiles, toffee-coloured leather sofas and a chocolate-boxy portrait of a woman with cat's eyes and backcombed hair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.