One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for backdrop
- ‘The difference of expert opinion nonetheless forms an important backcloth to the submissions made on the claimant's behalf.’
- ‘Instrumental music is important for creating or enhancing the atmosphere where words are silent, or as a backcloth for speech that is often melancholy and reflective.’
- ‘A fabrication woven from fear, anxiety, fantasy and myth formed the backcloth for the initial encounter between Europeans and Africans.’
- ‘In these circumstances scenery was possible, though usually restricted to a backcloth and drapes, but there was no acting.’
- ‘The lighting was also poor, spoiling the effect of the marvellous backcloth which for some reason looked as if it was on Mars, bathed in a light that threw out uniform reddish tones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.