One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for backdrop
- ‘Instrumental music is important for creating or enhancing the atmosphere where words are silent, or as a backcloth for speech that is often melancholy and reflective.’
- ‘The difference of expert opinion nonetheless forms an important backcloth to the submissions made on the claimant's behalf.’
- ‘The lighting was also poor, spoiling the effect of the marvellous backcloth which for some reason looked as if it was on Mars, bathed in a light that threw out uniform reddish tones.’
- ‘In these circumstances scenery was possible, though usually restricted to a backcloth and drapes, but there was no acting.’
- ‘A fabrication woven from fear, anxiety, fantasy and myth formed the backcloth for the initial encounter between Europeans and Africans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.