One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for backchat
- ‘He didn't hear her back talk as he slammed the office door and locked it.’
- ‘They challenged the malestream, and eventually like a slumbering giant unused to back talk it woke up and took notice.’
- ‘But his shout has not been mere bombast, nor has it been without back talk.’
- ‘When he mentioned his wife, he got the same back talk from Amanda that Kevin had gotten.’
- ‘Alright, no back talk, move your little butts before I blast 'em!’
- ‘There's no back talk, no squabbling, no sass when the family gathers around an open grave.’
- ‘‘Yes, I do not tolerate weapons, I do not tolerate scruffy appearances,’ she leveled a shiny talon at my head, ‘and I do not tolerate back talk!’’
- ‘Oh that's the reason for the cursing and the foul back talk, not like he never does it when Jessica's not around.’
- ‘He knew she was saving to build a house so he offered him a bonus rate if he could work as hard as physically possible, insisting, ‘And what's more, no back talk.’’
- ‘But those who are relentless, grim, and heavy-handed about this deserve some back talk.’
- ‘He knew his mother, so he knew that she might say it teasingly, but she'd actually do it if he gave her anymore back talk.’
- ‘He was a bit shocked by my slight back talk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.