One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The forwards who are in the third row in a scrum.
- ‘We wanted to tire their tight forwards out, and tie in their back row.’
- ‘At hooker, scrum-half and in the back row, there are few solid alternatives.’
- ‘The second row, who looks just as comfortable playing in the back row, was the outstanding forward on the field.’
- ‘The young scrum, the front and back rows especially, has been a revelation and should develop into a fearsome unit given a little time and a following wind.’
- ‘It's easy to make parallels between the back rows but really a back row is only as good as the forward pack in front of it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.