One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The forwards who are in the third row in a scrum.
- ‘At hooker, scrum-half and in the back row, there are few solid alternatives.’
- ‘It's easy to make parallels between the back rows but really a back row is only as good as the forward pack in front of it.’
- ‘The young scrum, the front and back rows especially, has been a revelation and should develop into a fearsome unit given a little time and a following wind.’
- ‘We wanted to tire their tight forwards out, and tie in their back row.’
- ‘The second row, who looks just as comfortable playing in the back row, was the outstanding forward on the field.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.