One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An office or centre in which the administrative work of a business is carried out, as opposed to its dealings with customers.
- ‘Once oral agreement is reached the ' back office ' of a bank ensures that a prompt confirmation is dispatched to the other bank.’
- ‘Waste exists beyond the factory floor - in the supply chain, back office, sales and marketing.’
- ‘Workflows are now available that cross the back offices of multiple trading partners within a supply chain.’
- ‘You can be front office or back office or both.’
- ‘Chan had worked on the frontline for two years before being promoted to the back office where he managed operations and personnel arrangements.’
- ‘Only after the SLK incident did Mr Bax cause Mr Jones to take over responsibility for the back office.’
- ‘What processes can we implement to improve our systems both in the front and the back office?’
- ‘The décor reminds me of a back office of a five star hotel.’
- ‘The back offices of several global companies are also increasingly being run on this alternative operating system.’
- ‘For the next 41 years, it is run out of a back office of PGA headquarters in Florida.’
- ‘More difficult is forging a business relationship with a DBS provider and creating the back office to handle the billing.’
- ‘Sure, their reception area is always pretty nice, but they never spend any money on the back offices where all the work is done.’
- ‘Already many big banks have moved large parts of their back offices here.’
- ‘I'm definitely not the sort of bloke who can work away in a back office.’
- ‘For the optimal performance of health systems in Africa, all the key components of the back office must function together.’
- ‘He ascertained that Mr Leeson was the key man and controlled both the front and the back office.’
- ‘Global cash management has been outsourced to Deutsche Bank, trade finance to ABN and Goodbody's back office is to be outsourced to Pershing Securities.’
- ‘But in recent years more decisions have been delegated to planners in the back office, until 43 per cent are done that way.’
- ‘Undeterred, Diller is sticking to his plans and seems willing to run the back office for now.’
- ‘Normally the back office acts as a check upon fraud and misconduct as it processes the paperwork associated with trading.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.