One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boiler supplying hot water or heating that is built in behind a fireplace or is an integral part of a gas fire.
- ‘With pipes frozen, there was danger that the back boiler on his fire would explode.’
- ‘We can't heat the house because we have back boilers and we can't light a fire when the power is out.’
- ‘Boilers can also be divided into floor-standing, wall-hung and back boilers.’
- ‘We had someone round last night to give us quote for new central heating, the current system is a very old back boiler system and is about as controllable as Lollypop!’
- ‘A large brick fireplace, which is fitted with a coal-effect gas fire and back boiler, provides a focal point.’
- ‘Every council home in Bolton that has a Baxi gas fire, back boiler, and flue system, will be checked.’
- ‘The living room has an open fire with a solid fuel back boiler, with an ornate cast iron surround and tile hearth.’
- ‘The front door leads directly to a large living room which has an open fireplace with back boiler.’
- ‘The agreement was to install full gas central heating with a boiler in the kitchen and replace the gas fire / back boiler in the living room with a standard gas fire’.’
- ‘There is an open fireplace with back boiler and the Belfast sink has a tiled drainer.’
- ‘The lounge has also maple flooring along with a feature fireplace with back boiler.’
- ‘Business people found it were difficult to operate while householders were very worried that back boilers might explode.’
- ‘An integral back boiler provides domestic hot water and heats the radiators, which then provide central heating.’
- ‘Neysa, 28, was two months pregnant when the back boiler at her home in Hodder Street, Accrington, broke in August.’
- ‘This room has a back boiler in addition to the dual-system central heating.’
- ‘She bought it in 2000 for about £235,000, when it was still heated by a back boiler and scarcely inhabitable by today's standards.’
- ‘There is also a winter sitting room with back boiler and double doors leading to the back garden.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.