One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lean bacon from the back or loin of a pig.‘breakfast includes porridge, black pudding, smoked Scottish salmon, and best back bacon from the local butcher’
- ‘To make Savoy cabbage braised with bacon, finely chop a medium onion and fry in olive oil, then chop and fry 120g/4oz of smoked back bacon.’
- ‘At the price I expected to see a couple of slivers of streaky bacon, but again was pleasantly surprised by two pieces of back bacon.’
- ‘The only pig meat imported by the supermarket was a small amount of back bacon from Holland.’
- ‘Our kids, who are not big pizza fans, loved the Hawaiian, partially because it was made with back bacon as opposed to ham, and partially because the crust wasn't overcooked.’
- ‘His sausages and rindless, unsmoked back bacon have proved a sizzling success in Cuba, where British meat products are banned.’
- ‘There are five meals to choose from, including the breakfast special of back bacon, three pork and leek sausages, three fried eggs and mushrooms.’
- ‘The bun was soft, the beef was an excellent ground beef patty, the bacon was back bacon and not that streaky over-crisped variety.’
- ‘Streaky bacon is preferable to back bacon, but use what is available.’
- ‘If you cannot start the day without a cooked meal any combination of Cumberland sausage, back bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans is offered.’
- ‘Gold awards went to the ox tongue, roast beef, dry cured back bacon, black pudding, beef and Guinness pie, and steak and kidney pie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.