Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘All colonies were composed of bacilliform cells and showed the ability to utilize methanol as a sole carbon source.’
- ‘Clusters of corkscrew-shaped, bacilliform organisms, consistent with Helicobacter heilmannii, were seen in these gastric pits (Figure 2, hematoxylin-eo, original magnification × 100).’
- ‘If, however, all the larger diameter microbes are only 2-3 m long, they should be treated as bacilliform microbes rather than filamentous microbes.’
- ‘Examination of the sinters by scanning electron microscopy confirms that they are laminated and contain an abundant, low-diversity assemblage of filamentous, bacilliform, and coccoid microbes.’
- ‘As shown in Fig.2A, without chemical treatment, mitochondria kept a bacilliform shape even at 72 h.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.