Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A young unmarried woman.‘a photo of each bachelorette accompanies her profile’
- ‘I'm still going to check out a couple of the other bachelorettes from my Craigslist ad, though.’
- ‘Wendy, a married mother of three, oversees Parador Pictures, a thriving Miramax-like movie studio, and Victory, a diehard bachelorette and fashion designer, runs her own clothing company.’
- ‘Over 30 eligible bachelorettes lined up to take part in the competition.’
- ‘In your heart of hearts, you know you don't really care whether what's-his-name gets kicked off the island, or fired, or wins the bachelorette or whatever.’
- ‘I saw a party of bachelors and a party of bachelorettes, presumably from the same wedding, that had rented out two of the San Francisco cable cars for the night.’
- ‘Bachelors are much more socially acceptable than bachelorettes.’
- ‘Do you want to be soon around town with two of Newport's most eligible bachelorettes?’
- ‘He does and doesn't want to marry as he serially observes his friends' conjugal problems and dallies with three fetching bachelorettes.’
- ‘Well, you are an eligible bachelorette, are you not?’
- ‘Alright, well, with no further adieu, let's bring out our first eligible bachelorette!’
- ‘So I figured there would be lots of attractive, hopefully eligible bachelors and bachelorettes around my age.’
- ‘Upon finding out that she was single, the next day there were lots of articles making her out to be a desperate bachelorette, but this woman is no damsel in distress.’
2A very small bachelor apartment.‘a bachelorette in a high-rise complex’
- ‘Watson was the city lawyer assigned for the last six years to the issue of bachelorettes - small rental units for single people.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.