One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gambling card game in which players hold two- or three-card hands, the winning hand being that giving the highest remainder when its face value is divided by ten.
- ‘Really high-rollers prefer to place their bets in quieter private gambling rooms, usually trying their luck at baccarat.’
- ‘It didn't hurt at all that he had a photographic mind and that he could remember every card dealt from a baccarat shoe of 312 cards while adjusting his playing strategy accordingly.’
- ‘That would still leave you with $428 for the baccarat table.’
- ‘To stop baccarat cheats, the new Galaxy Waldo Casino in Macau is spending almost HK $4 million on a new high-tech surveillance system.’
- ‘Among the table games with improved results were craps, baccarat, roulette and pai gow poker.’
- ‘The new site offers smaller downloads, nine new slots games, baccarat, and a unique Flash-based navigation.’
- ‘The minimum bet for table players is $25 and the following games are eligible: blackjack, roulette, baccarat, mini-baccarat and Caribbean stud.’
- ‘The casino was stung by a group of baccarat cheats who made off with nearly US $5 million and suffered two robberies on its premises.’
- ‘The judgement allowed everyone to claim they were a winner - something we suspect doesn't happen very often in the world of virtual poker and cyber baccarat.’
- ‘He bet HK $8,000 in a game of baccarat, but walked away HK $1,600 poorer.’
- ‘It features a 15,000-square-foot main casino offering baccarat, Pai Gow poker, roulette, blackjack and premium slot machines.’
- ‘I went to the most sophisticated game, baccarat, and naively asked the burly pit boss what were the odds of winning at this game.’
- ‘Tonight they're discussing an upcoming trip to Las Vegas, where they've booked suites at the Mirage hotel and casino to play baccarat.’
- ‘The objective of baccarat is for the players to correctly guess which of three possible propositions will win on the next round: Bank, Player, or Tie.’
- ‘It is true that baccarat is the most elegant of casino games, which makes most casino visitors initially shy about participating.’
- ‘I would prefer to play Blackjack rather than any other casino game but will indulge in a round of baccarat as well as a turn at the crap table from time to time.’
- ‘It took the legendary baccarat player just three days to lose the fortune while he stayed at the plush Bellagio hotel.’
- ‘The book does provide reasonable introductions to several casino games, such as roulette, craps, and baccarat.’
- ‘The 74,252 square foot casino now offers baccarat, blackjack, Caribbean stud poker, craps, Let It Ride, Roulette and Spanish 21.’
- ‘Prosecutors said that group's baccarat cheating techniques included tipping the container from which the dealer dealt cards to get a peek as the cards came off the deck.’
Mid 19th century: from French baccara, of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.