One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Childish talk used by or to young children.
- ‘The author of several books on child development, she says the show's use of baby talk is not only ineffective but potentially detrimental to speech development.’
- ‘Joyce begins his Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with a couple of pages of just gurgley, gooey baby talk, describing the world as seen by an infant from its crib.’
- ‘In baby talk, mothers simplify and formalize their behavior.’
- ‘Forms of baby talk are also used in jocular, intimate conversation.’
- ‘His parenting skills were described as poor and he as being rigid, inflexible, confrontational and a poor influence on C.T. as she reverted to baby talk when she was with him.’
- ‘All recordings contained the same nonsense mutterings, but some mimicked the singsong rhythm of baby talk - known to spark infants' interest - while others sounded flat.’
- ‘Such baby talk itself originated, she posits, as a response to two other hallmarks of human evolution: upright walking and big brains.’
- ‘We were too old for baby talk, too young for discussions about philosophy, local politics and international affairs.’
- ‘The pair of them seemed to be having a conversation of their own in their own little world of baby talk.’
- ‘And I think one of the mothers who said she didn't speak like that, when we recorded it, she was in fact probably one of the more pronounced people using baby talk.’
- ‘Also, grandparents' names often come from a toddler's inability to pronounce a certain name; presumably the 5-year-old kid you are writing about is beyond baby talk.’
- ‘At the time of apprehension S.H.S.P. used little language other than baby talk, which was difficult to understand.’
- ‘Peter Farb, a linguist and anthropologist, carried out a fascinating study about baby talk.’
- ‘I thought that you said that you never would talk baby talk to her?’
- ‘If she needs a favour done urgently she asks in baby talk.’
- ‘Martin garbled baby talk and wailed out giggles.’
- ‘Because we are exchanging - instead of simple talk, and silly talk, and simple words, baby talk - we are now communicating ideas from one to the other.’
- ‘Mothers employed none of the acoustic signatures of baby talk while talking to another adult.’
- ‘The older child may become extremely jealous and display aggressive behavior toward the baby or such regressive acts as bed-wetting or baby talk.’
- ‘Occasionally, between poems, she chattered in a form of baby talk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.