One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Childish talk used by or to young children.
- ‘Such baby talk itself originated, she posits, as a response to two other hallmarks of human evolution: upright walking and big brains.’
- ‘Occasionally, between poems, she chattered in a form of baby talk.’
- ‘I thought that you said that you never would talk baby talk to her?’
- ‘In baby talk, mothers simplify and formalize their behavior.’
- ‘And I think one of the mothers who said she didn't speak like that, when we recorded it, she was in fact probably one of the more pronounced people using baby talk.’
- ‘All recordings contained the same nonsense mutterings, but some mimicked the singsong rhythm of baby talk - known to spark infants' interest - while others sounded flat.’
- ‘The author of several books on child development, she says the show's use of baby talk is not only ineffective but potentially detrimental to speech development.’
- ‘At the time of apprehension S.H.S.P. used little language other than baby talk, which was difficult to understand.’
- ‘Because we are exchanging - instead of simple talk, and silly talk, and simple words, baby talk - we are now communicating ideas from one to the other.’
- ‘Also, grandparents' names often come from a toddler's inability to pronounce a certain name; presumably the 5-year-old kid you are writing about is beyond baby talk.’
- ‘Peter Farb, a linguist and anthropologist, carried out a fascinating study about baby talk.’
- ‘We were too old for baby talk, too young for discussions about philosophy, local politics and international affairs.’
- ‘If she needs a favour done urgently she asks in baby talk.’
- ‘The pair of them seemed to be having a conversation of their own in their own little world of baby talk.’
- ‘The older child may become extremely jealous and display aggressive behavior toward the baby or such regressive acts as bed-wetting or baby talk.’
- ‘Forms of baby talk are also used in jocular, intimate conversation.’
- ‘Joyce begins his Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with a couple of pages of just gurgley, gooey baby talk, describing the world as seen by an infant from its crib.’
- ‘Martin garbled baby talk and wailed out giggles.’
- ‘His parenting skills were described as poor and he as being rigid, inflexible, confrontational and a poor influence on C.T. as she reverted to baby talk when she was with him.’
- ‘Mothers employed none of the acoustic signatures of baby talk while talking to another adult.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.